On January 14th, 2016, Jina Anne gathered a group of about 20 people that were in her Design Systems Slack’s #city-san-francisco channel. This group was a bunch of designers and developers who love design systems hanging out and talking shop.
The format has a show-and-tell by the Sponsoring Host. It is a great opportunity to see what other organizations are doing in this space, and hang out with like-minded folks.
After the second event, Josh Silverman joined on as a co-organizer.
Events have been hosted by great companies such as Github, Twitter, Gap, and Salesforce. Every event has waitlisted, with eager designers and developers who are system-minded people interested in pattern libraries, style guides, CSS frameworks, organizational design operations and production, and more.
Host an Event
If you are interested in hosting a future event, please do not hesitate to contact us in our form below. Our requirements to host an event are as follows:
- You must adhere to our Code of Conduct. Help us make our events an inclusive and safe space.
- Please consider diversity in your presentation — not just in gender, race, and age, but also in topics, roles, and experience.
- Let us know about your design system that you’ll be presenting on.
- If it’s public, where can we find it? That way we can link to it in the event details.
- If it’s not public, please share it privately so that we can review it before confirming the event. We will respect any NDAs you might require, just make that clear initially.
- Your presentation will be unique. While this is a show and tell, please consider a topic that will bring it beyond “here’s our design system.” Consider discussing what makes your design system different, what problems you faced and how you solved them, and have clear takeaways.
For example, Gap, Inc. presented how they scale their design system across multiple brands (Gap, Old Navy, Banana Republic, and Athleta) while retaining each brand’s look-and-feel.
- You must provide enough food and drinks for attendees. So far, all events have served pizza, beer, wine, and non-alcoholic beverages. You can vary from this, but let us know in advance. Please take into consideration dietary restrictions (such as vegetarian and gluten-free options).
- Let us know in advance how many attendees you can handle. So far, events have spanned anywhere from 20 attendees to 130.
- Let’s have fun!
You can use this form to ask questions, request to host an event, or to just say hello.